Comprehensive Liver Center
Expert liver care for life.
The Comprehensive Liver Center at Medical City Fort Worth’s Transplant Institute is an innovative resource offering the full spectrum of services for patients with advanced liver disease, liver cancer and hepatopancreaticobiliary diseases.
The Comprehensive Liver Center team, led by Sameh A. Fayek, MD, PhD, Liver Program and Comprehensive Liver Center Surgical Director and Omar A. Haq, MD, Comprehensive Liver Center Medical Director, includes experienced and dedicated physicians, surgeons, pharmacists, nurses and other hospital staff who are specially trained in working with patients with liver disease.
Our liver transplant team works with specialists from related fields — including cardiology, radiology, interventional radiology, psychology, pathology and infectious disease — to ensure that each patient receives the most comprehensive care possible.
These specialists bring a wealth of medical expertise to provide the best customized care for liver transplant patients. We serve North Texas and beyond through a network of referring hospitals and physicians.
The multidisciplinary liver team includes specialists with expertise in managing:
Advanced liver disease
- Liver conditions such as nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), alcoholic liver disease, viral hepatitis, autoimmune liver disease and metabolic liver disorders
- Counseling and treatment for families with genetic liver disorders
- Transplantation is often the clinical intervention of choice for patients with end-stage liver disease due to multiple conditions, including alcoholic cirrhosis, hepatitis C, fatty liver disease and substance toxicity.
- Liver transplantation is also the preferable treatment option for cancer in patients with cirrhosis.
Hepatopancreaticobiliary (HPB) cancers
- Our multidisciplinary tumor board evaluates patients with liver, gall bladder, bile duct or pancreatic cancers.
- Our team of experts collaboratively reviews each patient’s condition to determine the best therapeutic plan. This often includes multiple regimens, which can be a part of preparation for liver transplantation.
Personalized, Patient-Centered Care
The comprehensive liver team will work hand-in-hand with liver transplant patients and referring physicians to understand the unique needs and choose the treatment plan that is best for patients. Equipped with the latest tools, treatments and technology, our expert physicians strive to deliver superior quality of care and better patient outcomes.
Medical City Fort Worth’s (MCFW) liver transplant program is a member of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) and meets its requirements to be approved to perform liver transplants. MCFW also partners with the LifeGift organ procurement organization (OPO).
Contact the Liver Experts
Questions about liver disease, liver cancer, hepatopancreaticobiliary diseases or liver transplantation? If you would like to speak to a member of our team, call (817) 834-8500 or email us with your contact information.
General email communication is inherently not secure. For this reason, we highly recommend that data considered confidential or private in nature not be submitted via email. (e.g., Social Security Numbers, diagnosis information, etc.)